In a world where technology has completely changed the way we live, the OBD II technology unit is playing an excellent role for car owners. In fact, many people have termed it the “black box” of their cars. This device is exceptionally helpful as it contains all the necessary features to keep you notified when your car is likely to develop a fault. With the OBD2 scanners, motorists no longer have to go to their mechanics at any slight instance. The scanners contain running log of the vehicle’s general operations, helping you detect faults when they are at their early stage. It contains logs such as location and direction logs, speed, fuel readiness, as well as temperature logs. All these information helps your car stay at an optimum performance at all times.
With the OBD2 diagnostic tool, you will be able to identify problems and seek for solutions before they become too serious. Hence, the importance of this device cannot be emphasized enough.
However when selecting an OBD2 scanner, you have to do a comprehensive research since there are numerous brands in the market and it may become too easy to get carried away by marketers’ speech. This entire article is dedicated to providing you with all the necessary details you need to know about the different types of OBD2 scanners and how you can spot the best models. At the end of the article, you would know the features of the best OBD2 scanners, popular brands, as well as other high quality accessories that will help you select the most ideal model for your needs.
- 1 Top Rated OBB2 Scanners Reviews 2016 – 2017
- 1.1 Best OBD2 BLUETOOTH SCANNER Review
- 1.2 Best Car Diagnostic Tool Review
- 1.3 Best OBD2 CODE SCANNER
- 1.4 Good OBDII Scanner For IPHONE – IOS
- 1.5 OBD2 Scanner For ANDROID
- 1.6 OBDII Scanner For WIFI
- 1.7 OBDII Scanner For LIVE DATA
- 1.8 OBD II Scanner UNDER $100
- 2 BEST OBD2 SCANNER BRANDS
- 3 Conclusion
Top Rated OBB2 Scanners Reviews 2016 – 2017
Best OBD2 BLUETOOTH SCANNER Review
BlueDriver Bluetooth Professional OBDII Scan Tool for iPhone, iPad & Android
This product is designed and developed by professional engineers in North America and has been trusted by mechanics who understand the need to work with a high quality tool for proper job effectiveness. The tool is officially certified and licensed by Andriod and Apple devices, which makes it one of the most versatile bluetooth scanners you will ever find in the market.
Features of the product
It has the benefits of tablets or smatphones which includes interactive graphing of live data, saving data, portability, and free App updates.
BlueDriver sensor and Bluedriver App which work effectively with each other for better quality. Clearer enhanced codes (such as transmission, Airbag, ABS, etc) on Toyota, Chrystler and General Motors
It comes with repair reports derived from a database of more than 4 million fixes worldwide
- There are so many reasons why this scanner has remained widely popular in the industry. Some of those reasons include;
- It has a simple connection to the iphone compared to some other types of scanners. Just plug the device, select the Bluedriver device for the connections available for the bluetooth and you are ready to go.
- Another positive aspect of this scanner is the “Smog Readiness Status” test, which can also get you out of trouble even before you run into it. The app also prepares a detailed report on the best way to fix your problems in case you get an error code.
Most users of this product have been satisfied with its functionality and compatibility features with other devices. However, there are one or two issues users have reported about the scanner.
First, the database is incomplete as several codes do not show up. Secondly, the cost of the device is slightly more expensive than other options out there. But this should be expected, considering its overall quality and extremely good features.
IDEAPRO OBD2 Car Scanner Super Mini Bluetooth Review
IDEAPRO OBD2 bluetooth is a newly designed wireless scan tool that has surpased many expectations. With this device you would be able to clear codes on your car and views codes on your neighbours or co-workers car as well. It has been one of the most innovative scan tools in the market, and there are many reasons why the scanner has received wide recognition. Below are some features that makes it stand out as one of the best bluetooth scanners in the market;
It requires only bluetooth connection and has no need for switches, cables, or batteries
It supports all OBD2 protocols, making it compatible for use in different car types
It is very easy to use since no wire connection is required
IDEAPRO OBD2 bluetooth can be used with a PC using a bluetooth card
It is equally effecient when retrieving fault codes
There are so many reasons why IDEAPRO OBD2 bluetooth scanner has received lots of positive reviews in recent years. Below are some of the major benefits of owning this highly compatible scan tool.
- With the scanner, you can easily switch between fixed and variable CAN message lenghts
- You can filter and set the CAN with one command
- The scanner also helps you to store a unique identifier in EEPROM
- With IDEAPRO OBD2, you can keep your car repair costs down as it provides high valued information to help you detect and inteprete error codes.
- It equally makes use of the GPS to track logs to enable you see what you are doing at all times
There are very little complaints about the scanner from customers. One of the major talking points is the fact that the scanner does not support Apple system. So, if you only have apple system, you may want to consider other scanning options presented below.
Best Car Diagnostic Tool Review
INNOVA 3160 Diagnostic Scan Tool Review
Diagnostic tools for cars are important to keep automobiles at optimum performance. There are different types of diagnostic tools, but there are few that can actually match the performance of INNOVA 3160 as shown by its features and lots of positive customer reviews it has gained over the years. What are the features that make this model stand out among other products in the market? Read on to find out!
Features of INNOVA 3160
INNOVA 3160 is quite effective when checking engine light warnings. It is made of a unique patented screen display and a LED display that helps you verify the drive cycle.
Apart from the above, it provides enhanced live data and communicates with all OBD2 generic protocols.
It equally comes with a full diagnostic report, trouble code definitions as well as access to CanOBD2.com repair solutions.
The above are some of the reasons why the INNOVA 3160 has been a trusted brand over the years.
- If you have the right vehicle, you will discover that the 3160 is a very useful tool. It provides lots of generic codes for cars manufactured particularly for the US markets. .
- The enhanced functions of this device provide the capacity to retrieve enhanced DTCs from different brands of vehicles such as Lexus/Toyota vehicles, Acura/Honda, Isuzu/GM, ford, and Jeep/Chrysler.
The only shortfall with this product customers have complained about is the continuous use of serial port for communication, which is gradually becoming an outdated mechanism. Most newly manufactured PCs come with only USB and do not come with serial port. However, you can still use the device even if you don’t have a PC with a serial port. There are serial port connectors with a USB port you can get to help you take care of this issue. Apart from this feature, there hasn’t been any other complaint about the product’s efficiency and compatibility in vehicles.
Best OBD2 CODE SCANNER
INNOVA 3150 Diagnostic Code Reader Rview
The INNOVA diagnostic code reader is one high quality code scanner you will get for next to nothing. Let’s look at its features to find out why the product has been so highly rated in the industry.
Recommended for DIY’s who wouldn’t want to run to the mechanics once their car has any slight issue.
It has the ability to read ABS codes flawlessly
It reads and clears ABS codes on many Chrysler, Ford, and GM cars.
- With this device you will not totally rely on an expensive dealer or mechanic to repair sensors and other things you could do with the device. There are some code scanners that cannot read ABS codes, but the INNOVA 3150 is different.
- The price of INNOVA 3150 is simply unbelievable compared to its overall features and effectiveness.
- It is easy to use and can be used by even individuals without solid auto-mechanical knowledge
There is one issue with this device that customers have complained about. The problem is not really about the feature of the product but the fact that the customer service is bad. It takes them too much time to update their websites and put more information on the relevant change made.
Apart from the above, there haven’t been many complaints about the features of the product so far from customers who have used the product and seen its overall benefits.
Good OBDII Scanner For IPHONE – IOS
Bluedriver Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool
When it comes to providing the best scan tool for your vehicle, there is nothing more important than having the right tool that can help you gather all the information you need to solve any issues in your car. One of the best scanners in the market today is the OBD2 scan tool for iphone. Yes, it is specifically designed for those who have iphone and may not be compatible with other types of phones. However, users have a very high regard for this product as it has served thousands of people for many years. Let’s see why the device is so highly rated;
It can view a vehicle repair report which contains information such as causes of the trouble, code definition, and reports on how to fix the problem.
It can be used to read enhanced codes on different car models such as Toyota, Chrysler, Ford, and GM
It can equally clear or read trouble codes once the engine light comes on
- One notable benefit of the scanner is the fact that it delivers the best experience, with the BlueDriver app and BlueDriver Sensor built to work exclusively as a single tool.
- With this device you would be able to clear trouble codes and know exactly what your check engine light is telling you.
- Overall, the device can save you from a lot of trouble when on the road
The only issue with this device is the fact that it is compatible with only iphone-ios, which is actually spelt out in the user manual. Apart from that, customers have not had any other complaints about its features or overall functionalities.
OBD2 Scanner For ANDROID
SCANTOOL 426101 Professional for Android & Windows
Designed to improve performance over the bluetooth link, this OBD2 scanner is 4 times faster than most of its competitors. Scantool 426101 outperforms all other scanners by a country mile because of its high quality adapter and unique battery saver technology that over-delivers more than it promised. If you leave this device plugged in, be assured that it won’t drain your battery like other types of ODB adapters.
Features of the product
One key feature of this OBD2 scanner is the faster acceleration of the software and App up to 400%. Because of its high speed, it provides more graph points and faster screen updates
It is compatible with MS-CAN and SW-CAN protocols, which are the only scan tools that work better with proprietary Ford and GM networks.
Designed with a hacker proof system that provides maximum security and eliminate the risk of unauthorized access
- Supports more third party software and apps than any other adapter
- It’s compatible with a wide range of vehicles
- It works perfectly on PC’s tablets and smart phones. With this tool, you can turn your smart phone or android to a sophisticated performance monitor and diagnostic tool
- From user experience, there are very few issues associated with this device. The most notable is the fact that it does not support apple ios products. It is not necessarily a limitation but how the product was designed.
OBDII Scanner For WIFI
iAutomobil OBD2 Scanner Review
If you are looking for an OBD2 scanner that can be compatible with your wifi, iAutomobil OBD2 Scanner is the most ideal option for you. It works with PC, ipod touch, ipod, ipad, and iphone.
This device is very simple to operate and all you need is a simple plug into your OBDII port and you are ready to go.
In addition, iAutomobil OBD2 Scanner is not only utilized for error codes but it can help you troubleshoot the problems.
With this device, you have access to different types of features such as the ODBI stuff where you can select hundreds of metrics and display them in real time.
There is also a feature that helps you reset warning codes in the device.
It is compatible with different types of cars made and imported in the US
It provides a lot of information when detecting error codes
- This device is one of the least expensive in the market, yet it works tremendously
- The scanner can be utilized with torque application for combined capabilities
- It boosts efficiency by providing you with error signals before any issue arise
- iAutomobil OBD2 Scanner is very easy to use and can be utilized by both experienced and inexperienced users
- It is not compatible with some types of devices
OBDII Scanner For LIVE DATA
INNOVA 3140 OBD2/OBD1 Scan Tool Review
The INNOVA brand is no doubt one of the best companies producing high quality OBD2 scanners for all types of vehicles. Its 3140 model is the newest model in its manufacturing tray. The company has actually made vast improvements over the previous 3160 model. Although the two products share certain similarities, there are some little differences in their functionalities, which has eliminated a lot of user errors.
It is designed with all-at-once backlighting and screen features
It does not lock up, unlike some other scanner models that luck up from time to time
The software is quite easy to use
It features a serial port and USB port, which makes it compatible with both old and new laptop types
Since INNOVA 3140 provides live data, itis very easy to update and upgrade their firmware and software online
- Despite its alluring features, the scanner is less expensive than other scan tools in its category
- The packaging of the unit is quite impressive. It is designed with a cardboard box with a colorful slipover and a built-in handle
- Strong and durable design
- The scan tool comes with a manual that provides clear guide on its functionality, making it easy to use even by a novice
The software included in the device does not have full features when saving data results. To resolve this problem, you can do a firmware update to the device befor using it.
The button layout can be confusing at first, but this should not be a problem if the instructions in the manual are clearly followed.
OBD II Scanner UNDER $100
There are lots of high quality OBD2 scanners you can find in the market but you will have very limited choice when looking for an affordable one that is equally effective. The Autel AL19 scanner is one of those rare diagnostic tools you can utilize to help you solve a lot of problems. There are several reasons why this device has earned a lot of encomiums in the market. Some of those reasons are explained below;
It is ideal for different brands of cars including SUVs, light trucks as well as newer cars.
Other features of this gadget include battery backup for off-car analysis and review, French and Spanish interface and definitions, freeze frame data, and live PCM data streams.
It can automatically clear codes, reset monitors, and turns off malfunction indicator
It plays back and records live sensor data
This unit is very compact and very easy to handle
- Sold for less than $100 even though its features can be compared to the most expensive brands in the market
- It features the unique M/one-click readiness key
- It supports all 10 modes of OBDII. This will help you perform a comprehensive diagnosis
- Designed with a built-in speaker and a TFT color display that helps users do their work effectively
- Upgradable and updatable via the internet
Autel AL519 does not come with all the features and may not be supportive when linking two vehicles, especially when connecting a new vehicle to an older model.
Best OBD2 Scaner FOR THE MONEY
Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool
If you are on a tight budget and looking for high quality scanner for your automobile, you may not find anyone in the same category as the Autel MS300 model. It supports all OBD II protocols and does a lot more than you can imagine. Although this device is small, it works just like other larger scanners and can be used to retrieve information as effective as other expensive scanners. Below are more of its features;
Retrieves vehicle identification number on different vehicles that support Mode 9
It features DTC definitions, multilingual menu, and easy-to-read LCD screen
Provides CD catalog of more than 600 descriptions and trouble codes
Simple 2 button design for clear reading of codes
Supports the CAN (Controller Area Network) protols and all other current OBD-II protocols
- Supports the Controller Area Network and other types of OBD protocols
- Compatible with most ODB Asian and European vehicles as well as all cars sold in US with ODB II standard
- It is less expensive than the other models and provides more than 600 descriptions for resolving issues
- The manual provides enough information to help you effectively operate the device
- It doesn’t have printing capabilities
- Web updates is not possible with the device
- No real time monitoring
The above cons are not too serious issues and can be excusable considering the cost of the device and other great features it provides. In fact, it is one of the most reliable scanners for those who want the most basic features.
BEST OBD2 SCANNER BRANDS
There are different types of OBD2 scanner brands and it is imperative to select the most ideal one for your troubleshooting tasks. With proper research, we have come up with a lot of good options in terms of features and overall quality. Below are some of the brands that provide the best quality OBD2 scanners in the industry.
- INNOVA brand
For those who want to consider safety first before any other thing, the INNOVA brand is the most ideal brand in the industry. It is one of the oldest brands in the market and rightly one of the most reliable too. When it comes to quality and compatibility features, the INNOVA brand of OBD2 scanners is the leader in the industry.
- Actron Scan Tools
Actron is another highly rated brand that is in the lips of most motorists and mechanics who know the overall quality of their products. Their scanners are designed with high quality features. Most of their scanners provide freeze data readings and live data, which are two important features you cannot do without when using the ODB2 scanner. All their products are made with code connect features that enable the reader to have a large amount of data for better code readings. For these features, the Actron brand is seen as the most professionally oriented scanner brand in the market.
- Autel OBD scanner brand
This is one of the oldest brands in the industry. With their vast experience and an astonishing history of diagnostic scan tool manufacturing, their level of brand originality is unequalled by any other brand in the industry. Despite their long history, the company has also tried out new features and included innovative features that have continued to keep the brand ahead of others. The Autel OBD II products have the ability to support all types of OBD II protocols in the market. No wonder the brand has maintained high ratings and positive user reviews on Amazon. This shows the effectiveness and usefulness of its OBD scanner tools.
- OBDLink OBD scanner
The OBDLink scanner is another high quality brand vested with the responsibility of bringing innovation to the industry. It offers a wide range of products such as bluetooth scan tools as well as new and old generation OBD tools (OBD I and OBD II), providing lots of options for different types of users. The company provides one of the most versatile tools for different types of car brands and their OBD scanner tools are compatible with different connecting devices. Because of their core objectives to serve a wide range of users, novices and professionals can find their products suitable and effective. Their devices are one of the fastest in terms of readings and coding results.
What are the advantages of owning a OBD II Scanner?
The advent of computers and smaller technological components has aided the automobile industry a lot. One of the most significant innovations in the industry is the use of OBD scanner technology to help car owners and mechanics detect a problem and help them solve it before it generates into something serious. If you are new to the world of OBD II scanner, you may want to know the many benefits of owning one. Here are some of the advantages of owning a OBD II scanner.
- With the OBD II scanner, it will be easier for you to find out what is wrong in your car as there will be signals and error codes to show you when something go wrong with any car component.
- The OBD scanner is a cost saver: In many ways you can save some dollars if you have this scanner installed in your car than having to take your car to a mechanic whenever any little problem arises. Instead of paying the mechanic for diagnostics, you can avail the benefits of the scanner by using the diagnostic tool by yourself. The scanner is quite easy to use plus they come with instruction on how best to make use of the tool.
- It provides a standardized diagnostic method: With the new manufacturing standard in place for all car manufacturers, you don’t need to buy a different diagnostic tool and scanner for each make of car you own. This is even more advantageous for auto repair shop owners who will save cost and obtain only a single scanner for a wide range of vehicles. Most OBD II scanners are compatible with different car brands which makes it possible to use one scanner on different types of cars, saving you cost in the long run.
- They are very easy to use: Because of the simplicity in design, most scanners are easy to use by all categories of people. So, whether you are a novice or inexperienced in automobile mechanics, these scan tools provide straightforward instructions and guide for diagnosing and checking of error codes.
What kind of Scanner should I buy ?
The type of scanner you buy will depend on the kinds of cars you have and the type of connecting device you have. However, your budget and frequency of use can also determine which scanner to buy.
You have to decide whether you want a higher-end unit or a basic product. The latter is usually cheaper with lesser features than the former. If you want to do your own basic repair and just read and repair your engine codes, a basic scanner should be enough for you. They usually have only two buttons and are very easy to operate. But one shortfall with the basic brand is the constant compatibility issues. They don’t have the programming to cover all protocols since they are manufactured to work on the most common models.
But the higher-end models have more features even though they are more expensive. They are usually compatible with all protocols and have added functions such as live data, printing ability, On Screen capability, as well as Airbag capability. If money is not really a problem and you want the best features with more compatibility, the high-end models are ideal for you.
Considerations For Choosing The Right OBD2 Scanner
When buying the right kind of OBD2 scanner, there are certain things you should consider. You have to select the most ideal product that has not just the right features but also compatible with your automobile. Below are some criteria to use when choosing the right OBD2 scanner.
- Select the scanner that provides enough information with clear display – Some home scanners provide rich feedback about the condition and status of your car while some other basic ones do nothing more than showing diagnostic trouble code. Select the scanner than can provide enough information and display all features correctly.
- Data options – When buying a OBD II scanner, select the model with data connecting features via USB cables. This will provide greater information and allow better visual displays of vital diagnostic information.
- Diagnostic features – OBD II scanners have different features and data gathering capabilities. Some only have the most basic data gathering capabilities while others are equipped with real-time vehicle functioning while the motor is still engaged. The latter models are more expensive but are worth the extra dollars if you want the latest diagnostic features for your device.
- Battery and power- Although all types of OBD II scanners work through the car’s on-board systems, there are some products that offer more options for the battery. Some scanners have battery back-up functions in case you want to make use of them when offline.
Car diagnostic tools are vital components any car owner should have in possession. They are very important and enable you take care of issues and prevent complicated problems from arising in the future. With this device, you don’t have to run to your auto repair shop at any slight error or problem. OBD2 scanners have actually revolutionized and improved the maintenance of automobiles. There are different tools out there for diagnostic purposes and it is essential to select the most ideal one. The above diagnostic tools have been certified and trusted as the leading models in their respective categories, as shown in their reviews and overall customer ratings on retail websites. Whenever you are ready to buy one for your use, make sure you select the model that is appropriate and compatible with your car models.