How To Clean Memory Foam Mattress Topper? When cleaning your home, one of the most vital places to pay attention is your mattress and mattress topper. A memory foam mattress topper will definitely have a positive effect even on the most uncomfortable mattress. However, accidents do happen and sometimes an accumulation of dirt and dust can prevent you from having that comfortable sleep you crave for. This is the reason why it is important to take good care of your mattress topper by following the necessary steps to keep it clean at all times. The memory foam topper can be dusted and wiped off from dust occasionally. But if you intend to do a deep cleaning, it will be wise to use water and some good detergents. Although memory foam absorbs water while they are being washed, there are certain washing processes that will help you wash them effectively and even dry them in a very short while. Below are some tips and tricks of properly washing the memory foam topper.
Begin with the Vacuum
The first step to properly cleaning a memory foam topper is to begin with a simple handheld vacuum. If you are not ready for deep washing yet, a handheld vacuum can help you eliminate dusts and other allergies that may be resting on the mattress surface. This can be sufficient for routine cleaning as the force of the vacuum can eliminate almost any dust lying on the mattress topper. But this may not work if you want to clean urine accidents or stains or if you want to do a deep cleaning. In that case, the rest of the article is dedicated to guide you on the proper way to do a deep cleaning without damaging the vital composition of your mattress topper.
How to deep-clean a memory foam topper
Before you start cleaning, you have to get all the materials that will aid your job ready. The following are the things needed to do a proper deep cleaning on the mattress topper.
- A fabric cleaner (any clean one will be enough)
- Liquid dishwashing soap
- Baking soda
- Hydrogen peroxide
- White vinegar
- Remove the mattress topper from the bed and place it on a piece of plastic or on a large tarp. If you are washing indoors, you can tip it on the bathtub.
- Next is to get the cleaning solution ready by mixing them together in smaller portions. You can do this in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on the mattress topper at all the sides to ensure an even penetration when washing.
- Fold one side of the mattress topper and apply pressure, pushing water and the cleaning solution out. Do not use a brush or a hard material to wash because this may rip off its fine surface. Perform the same action on the other end of the mattress topper to complete the cleaning task.
- If the mattress topper needs serious need of deep cleaning, you can carry out the fourth step twice to ensure a properly cleaned mattress.
- Thereafter, use a hairdryer or an oscillating fan to dry the mattress topper completely. Make sure you allow the topper to completely dry before use. Otherwise, the stinky smell of the mattress topper may lead to the invitation of mites, bug, and other insects on the mattress.
Additional tips when using the cleaning solution
While you are required to regularly vacuum your mattress topper, you may need to deep clean on few occasions to preserve the original texture of the mattress. But in case of a stain, you have to wash off immediately to avoid making it permanent on the mattress.
You may not need to buy all the cleaning products mentioned above for a cleaning session. The most important thing is to select the items based on what you already have in the house. You can mix liquid dish soap, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide to create a strong washing solution. Remember that hydrogen peroxide is a powerful chemical that can lead to discoloration or color fading if your memory foam mattress topper is not pure white, so a moderate use is advised.